Ayurvedic Therapies to Reduce Knee Pain and Swelling
Ayurveda offers many treatments for the treatment of knee Arthritis. Application of oil is the important because of the action of medicine is very fast, and can penetrate the skin layers.
There are three different purpose which Ayurvedic treatments achieve
• Reduction in inflammation and pain
• Strengthening of muscles around the affected area
• Reduction in Vata (primary cause of pain as per Ayurveda) internal cleansing so the efficacy of medicines is better
• The exact schedule & combination of treatments needs to be decided by the doctor depending upon the condition & prakruti of the patient. However, the following is an indicative list of treatments which are normally used for reduction in knee pain & swelling.
• Abhyangam : Abhyangam is a full body massage done with medicated herbal oils. This helps in stimulating the nerve endings at the site of pain which increases the blood circulation.
• Kizhi : Kizhi uses herbs / sand / rice / choornams tied in a muslin cloth to make small herbal boluses (potlis). These boluses are then heated and lightly pounded over knee joint as needed.
• Pizhichil : Pizhichil or oil squeezing is done to pacify the vata, strengthen muscles and lubricates knee joints.
• Janu basti : Janu Basti involves pouring of specially prepared warm herbal oil over the knee. The oil is retained inside a well created using black gram paste or whole wheat flour. The herbal oil used in the procedure restores the lubricating fluid in the joint and maintains integrity of the structures involved in the joint.
• Upnaham : This therapy is done by application of herbal paste over the affected area. This treatment is very effective in OsteoArthritis of knee, knee joint injuries and localized Knee Pain and Swelling.
For treatment and consultation visit Ayurveda Healing Tree or Call at our Helpline No 7814002233